2nd ESCMID Conference on Invasive Fungal Infections
16-18 January 2013, Rome, Italy
All conference materials (slides, webcasts) can be found in the ESCMID Online Lecture Library
- Murat Akova, Ankara, TR
- Giuseppe Cornaglia, Verona, IT
- Cornelia Lass-Flörl, Innsbruck, AT
- Maurizio Sanguinetti, Rome, IT
Participants attending the second edition of this conference will learn about the microbiological aspects, pathophysiology, clinical presentations and treatment of common and emerging invasive fungal infections.
Auditorium, Policlinico Universitario A. Gemelli
Università Cattolica Sacro Cuore
Largo Francesco Vito, 1
Specialists or physicians in training in infectious diseases, clinical microbiology and other disciplines dealing with immunocompromised patients (e.g. haematology, oncology, chest medicine).
Please download the registration form (see link on the right) and return it to the conference secretariat.
Members of ESCMID
- Before and on 21 November 2012: EUR 500
- After 21 November 2012: EUR 650
- Before and on 21 November 2012: EUR 700
- After 21 November 2012: EUR 800
The registration fee includes the scientific sessions, lunches and coffee breaks, but not travel and accommodation costs.
Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Emerging epidemiology in fungal infections
- Global trends in Candida species distribution. Jesus Guinea-Ortega
- Global trends in Aspergillus species distribution. Paul Verweij
- Global trends in emerging mould infections. Oliver Cornely
- Imported mycoses: are they a problem in 2013? Jacques Meis
- Coffee Break
Recent advances in the treatment and prophylaxis of invasive fungal infections
- Prophylaxis versus treatment. Livio Pagano
- Empirical therapy and pre-emptive approach. Catherine Cordonnier
- Prophylaxis of breakthrough infections: what is the evidence for its efficacy?
- Do we need a combination antifungal therapy? Claudio Viscoli
Thursday, 17 January 2013
Biofilm formation in fungi: a challenge for the clinician
- Biofilm in Candida spp. Christophe d'Enfert
- Biofilm in Aspergillus spp. Gordon Ramage
- Clinical impact of fungal biofilms. Mario Tumbarello
- Therapeutic approaches for infections caused by biofilm-forming fungi. Mahmoud Ghannoum
- Coffee Break
Zygomycosis: is it really a rare invasive fungal infection?
- Epidemiology of zygomycosis in Europe. George Petrikkos
- Pathogenesis of zygomycosis: is there anything new? Ulrike Binder
- Healthcare-associated zygomycosis. Olivier Lortholary
- Why is zygomycosis more difficult to treat than other common mycoses? Emmanuel Roilides
Management of invasive fungal infections: is it possible to integrate MIC, PK/PD and patient conditions?
- Update on antifungal resistance in Candida and Aspergillus.
- PK/PD properties of azoles and echinocandins. William Hope
- Risk factors for the development of invasive fungal infections. Murat Akova
- Integrating MIC, PK/PD properties, and risk factor data. Andrew Ullmann
- Coffee Break
Is antifungal stewardship a necessity in this decade?
- In invasive aspergillosis. Raoul Herbrecht
- In invasive candidiasis. Markus Ruhnke
Friday, 18 January 2013
Antifungal resistance: from bench to bedside
- Antifungal drug resistance mechanisms in pathogenic fungi.
- New strategies for rapid detection of fungal drug resistance. David Perlin
- Clinical and economic impact of candidaemia sustained by drug-resistant Candida isolates. Malcom Richardson
- Impact of azole resistance on clinical outcome of invasive aspergillosis.
- Coffee Break
What’s new in diagnostic modalities?
- Is the time ripe for MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry in the identification of fungi? Maurizio Sanguinetti
- Update on molecular diagnostic tests for yeast and mould infections: where do we stand? Stéphane Bretagne
- What is the role of in-vitro susceptibility testing in current routine practice? Cornelia Lass-Flörl
- New perspectives for antigen detection in the diagnosis and treatment of IFI. Oscar Marchetti
- End of the conference
- Murat Akova, Ankara, Turkey
- Maiken Arendrup, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Ulrike Binder, Innsbruck, Austria
- Stéphane Bretagne, Créteil, France
- Catherine Cordonnier, Créteil, France
- Oliver Cornely, Cologne, Germany
- Manuel Cuenca-Estrella, Madrid, Spain
- Christophe d’Enfert, Paris, France
- David Denning, Manchester, United Kingdom
- Peter Donnelly, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- Mahmoud Ghannoum, Cleveland, United States
- Jesus Guinea-Ortega, Madrid, Spain
- Raoul Herbrecht, Strasbourg, France
- William Hope, Manchester, United Kingdom
- Cornelia Lass-Flörl, Innsbruck, Austria
- Olivier Lortholary, Paris, France
- Oscar Marchetti, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Jacques Meis, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- Livio Pagano, Rome, Italy
- David Perlin, Newark, United States
- George Petrikkos, Athens, Greece
- Gordon Ramage, Glasgow, Scotland
- Malcom Richardson, Manchester, United Kingdom
- Emmanuel Roilides, Thessaloniki, Greece
- Markus Ruhnke, Berlin, Germany
- Maurizio Sanguinetti, Rome, Italy
- Mario Tumbarello, Rome, Italy
- Andrew Ullmann, Würzburg, Germany
- Paul Verweij, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- Claudio Viscoli, Genova, Italy